1. Of, relating to, or based on a module or modulus.
2. Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use: modular furniture; modular homes.
Modular Furniture is extremely useful in small spaces – such an my current living situation, a 968 sq. ft. Garden Suite (occupied by two adults, a 2 year old and 5 month old) The key to the success of this new “modular” furniture movement is flexibility. In the picture featured, my “modular” or movable ottoman can serve as a type of coffee table or as an extra seat. This piece is also wonderful because it can be moved very easily because it is outfitted with wheels, so when the space need to accommodate the children it can roll around to create more space, or it can be “locked” in place when we need more structure for a more formal gathering. Whether in a small space or large space it is wonderful to find pieces of furniture that are extremely functional and also (hopefully!!!) aesthetically pleasing to the eye. My challenge to you… Your next furniture purchase, no matter what your living situation, room to spare or none to share… See if you could use a piece of furniture that has some “flex” to it!
- What to think about when choosing Modular Furniture for yourself –
- Are the proportions right for my space – ie. is it too big or too small?
- Does it have 2 or more uses? Is it practical and easy to move?
- ALWAYS: Do I love it? Is it something that I can invest in and not have to quickly replace or get tired of.